[sword-devel] Sword enhancement proposal [was: HTML filter cross references link]

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Jul 29 03:01:38 MST 2008

Dear Manfred and Greg,

Yes, I believe this is mostly how JSword operates.

There are plenty of XML repository/database frameworks available, and a
frontend developer is welcome to use one, instead of SWORD.

The SWORD Engine does not seek to be so generic a framework.  We are a
Bible Software Engine and hope to do most all processing work for the
frontend developer.

The benefit of having the SWORD engine encapsulate most processing is
that we can all share a common set of tools and collaborate on their
improvement for a variety of platforms (including embedded devices).

Does it remove some flexibility as to how the frontend developer wishes
to display?  Not really and here is why.

If the SWORD engine is used how it was intended to be used a frontend
developer can write a basic Bible Software frontend in a couple days
because the engine encapsulates most of the processing work.  Only
connecting hooks from the engine to a GUI is required.  If they seek
more control over how things work, the engine provides mechanisms at
most every point to allow a developer to plugin their own processing
classes-- allowing them to fall back on the default processing of the
engine as much as they want, but providing their custom processing when
they feel it necessary.

There are a number of good technologies we could choose-- and your
XML/XSLT idea is good.  But it is not the technology we use for realtime
processing in the engine.  JSword uses this technology and if it would
be more beneficial for your project, you might consider using their
implementation, but I would hope you might help us genericize the
HTMLHREF filters so we might all be able to share more of the default
processing inside the SWORD engine.

What don't you like about how HTMLHREF display?  Is it the superscripted
'x'?  Could we put it in a <span class="footnote_marker"> allowing you
to write a CSS rule to display or hide as you would like?

Let me know how we can help you attain what you need.

	-Troy.