[sword-devel] Quotation mark, non-English usage?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Jul 23 15:57:00 MST 2008

DM Smith wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
>
>> DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> writes:
>>> Another difficulty in identifying quotations is continuation marks.
>>> (OSIS provides <milestone type="cQuote" ... /> for this.) I hear that
>>> this varies by language. But in English when a quote spans paragraphs
>>> the start of each paragraph in the quote starts with a " and do not
>>> end
>>> with one (unless the quote ends there).
>> I have to note that NASB Matt 25 appears in both GS and the Windows UI
>> with every single sentence showing quotation marks.  That can't be
>> right
>> under any of these methodologies.
>>
>> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/.../WinSword-NASB-Matt25.png
>> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/.../GnomeSword-NASB-Matt25.png
>
> Sure does look wrong. Even in BD.
>
> But I took a look at the source from Lockman and it is as they have it.

I just checked two printed NASB95s from different publishers and both
have the above text. But they are also set in verse-per-line format
rather than with paragraphing. With that kind of layout, each verse
essentially begins a new paragraph, in which case this is precisely how
we would expect quotation marks to appear in this passage.

Should the NASB be presented with verse-per-line layout (e.g. via a
<lb/> at the end of each verse)? Does anyone have a printed edition that
uses a paragraphed presentation?

--Chris