[sword-devel] iPhone dev (was: Re: MacSword2 early dev)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Jul 23 14:40:45 MST 2008

My perspective on a Sword port/frontend is that we have essentially two
alternatives. There is nothing about the iPhone SDK that specifically
precludes GPL software--rather the iPhone SDK NDA precludes any kind of
code sharing. I have to hope that Apple will expire the NDA and make
iPhone SDK development of GPL software possible. There's nothing
particularly secret about the SDK anymore, the hardware and new OS are
all out, etc.--so I'm not sure why it hasn't happened yet. That being
the case, we have these two alternatives:

1) License the Sword library for closed source development (i.e. say to
some subset of Sword developers, such as yourself, that they can develop
a non-GPL Sword app). That would require removing all GPL code
incorporated into Sword that CrossWire does not hold the copyright to.
(And by "removing" I mean making it possible to build a library without
them, not removing from SVN entirely.)

2) Develop Sword for iPhone using the GPL toolchain, which would require
that any user have a jailbroken iPhone and use installer.app/Cydia to
run our app. That would work fine for me--I know I'm going to jailbreak
my iPhone once I get it--but it will severely limit our exposure.

I would much prefer Apple dump the NDA (or change the terms to make open
source development and books on programming to the SDK possible) so that
we can just do a nice GPL app in the App Store--and quickly shoot up to
the top of the Bible App offerings. ;) I quite agree that the current
Bible Apps are poor and/or over-priced. We can do better.

--Chris