[sword-devel] GoBible

Jolon jolon at onthenet.com.au
Wed Jul 9 22:27:05 MST 2008

Hi Peter,

Thanks for suggesting collaboration between Sword and Go Bible for the
purpose of stream-lining copyright permissions. I don't normally follow the
sword-devel mailing list but David Haslam emailed me about this thread
today. I think David may have also mentioned something similar in an email a
month or so back so the idea has been on my mind for a while.

My brief story is that I started Go Bible in 2003 primarily for myself but
also released it on the internet. Shortly after I began collaborating on a
Danish version and from there released the software to make Go Bible
applications from ThML and OSIS files which resulted in many more
translations. The last couple of years I've put less time into Go Bible as
it has become less of a priority in my own life and I've increasingly
thought about handing it over to someone else to maintain. Fortunately the
software works relatively well (especially the viewer) so hasn't needed much
updating over the last couple of years, however more features could
certainly be added and the GoBibleCreator program could be made more
flexible and user friendly. David Haslam came along last year and has pretty
much been the main driving force behind promoting and supporting Go Bible.
In the last 12 months I've progressively released the source code and
stream-lined the build process so that it can be built by others. At the
moment pretty much everything I use to build Go Bible and the web site is
available on the Google Code web page (http://gobible.googlecode.com).

Copyright has been a big issue for us over the last 12 months to the point
of stagnating the process of making some translations available. I agree
that it makes sense to take advantage of any permission Crosswire already
has to allow the same electronic versions to be made available on Java
phones.

I haven't followed the Sword project much but it certainly would be an
honour to have Go Bible integrated in the development/distribution process
in some way. I would also be willing to hand over responsibility of the
entire Go Bible project to Crosswire if someone was willing to take a
leading role in maintaining it.

I'm not sure where we go from here, but I'm certainly willing to
collaborate.

God bless,

Jolon.