[sword-devel] SwordReader PocketPC and SmartPhone CAB files.

David Trotz dtrotzjr at crosswire.org
Thu Jul 10 20:19:04 MST 2008

> Sorry if I stepped on any toes, was not my plan just expressing my thoughts.

No you didn't step on any toes. :-)
>> So this is what I propose (actually you already made a mention of
>> this): Let's make the two menu system default out of the box, which
>> will be our official menu where every single command will be
>> guaranteed to exist, and let's allow for an alternate menu system
>> available through the preferences. I personally won't be spending much
>> time right now to implement this, I want to focus on a few other areas
>> first. You are free to take it on if you like John.
>>
> Sounds like great news, I hope the rendering speed is one area.  I think
> an alternate menu will be an easy start and there is enough difficulty
> to make it interesting.  I just have to learn your MFC system.

I think you will find it a lot easier to use than pure WinCE API calls.
Which reminds me, if you do need a WinCE API call be sure the
documentation says that it supports WinCE 3.0 and up, as I do not want
to break WinCE 3.0 support.
>> My only concern is that SwordReader grows so complicated that it is
>> hard to use. If you take a look at Bible Reader by OliveTree you will
>> find a very nice bible program but at times overly complex w/ 2 fully
>> customizable menu bars. While I love the flexibility, I can see
>> someone like my wife getting frustrated with the complexity. Now in
>> contrast if you look at Palm Bible+ you will see a simple yet elegant
>> interface. This is the interface I want to try to imitate.
>>
> Ah, doesn't the Palm Bible+ have a menu system like I want?  Just a
> joke.  :)  I also noticed it has a top menubar and bottom menubar.  In
> the past I had user complaints when I covered the top with a menubar.
> Palm Bible+ does appear 'simple yet elegant' which would be the goal.  I
> like the idea of two menus since we can hide the complexities from those
> who desire a simpler interface and yet still provide for the power users.

I guess I overstated that. I meant I want to imitate the spirit of the
Bible+ interface, simple yet functional.

In Christ,
David Trotz