[sword-devel] SwordReader - eVC 3.0 discontinued

Daniel Blake danblake at tcdr.com
Sat Jul 5 17:18:44 MST 2008

Hello all,

Even though I have a newer Windows device, I would like to see
SwordReader continue to support the older Windows Mobile devices.  There
has been quite a bit of development for the Windows Mobile platform
lately and it would be to bad to see that slow down or stop completely
because the development tools needed were EOL.

I just found an interesting comment on one of Microsoft's webpages.  It
seems to indicate it is legal to distribute eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0
even though Microsoft has stopped distributing it.

The Instructions and Resources section states.

"This product has been removed from MSDN and TechNet Subscriber
Downloads due to the terms of Java-related settlements Microsoft made
with Sun Microsystems. This product is no longer available from
Microsoft in any form, but may be available through third-party
resellers or Web sites."

I understand this states "third-party resellers" but it indicates the
ability to distribute it outside of Microsoft.  Or am I reading to much
into this statement?  Standard IANAL disclaimer.  What are other peoples
thoughts concerning this?

I also checked archive.org and they have the microsoft download page
that published the free CD-key for eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0

http://web.archive.org/web/20070809112149/http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f663bf48-31ee-4cbe-aac5-0affd5fb27dd&DisplayLang=en