[sword-devel] Problems with SFMToOSIS

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Jul 2 03:16:28 MST 2008

Daniel Owens wrote:
> Chris, why do you recommend SFMToOSIS over usfm2osis.pl?

If usfm2osis.pl gives you better results, then by all means, use it. But
SFMToOSIS was developed in close collaboration with a couple of
different Bible societies using the defined mapping between USFM and OSIS.

usfm2osis.pl is based on a one-off tool written specifically for a few
work-for-hire conversions done for ABS. It wasn't originally written for
USFM specifically and lacks support for a lot of USFM markers because at
the time, I was working without the benefit of any USFM documentation.
Furthermore, the code itself is a bit of a mess.

> I may try my (inexperienced) hand at augmenting usfm2osis.pl.

By all means, if you can improve usfm2osis.pl, that would be welcomed. I
have a feeling our hopes may ultimately lie in Bibledit's SFM to OSIS
conversion potential.

--Chris