[sword-devel] osis2mod warnings (was Re: thml and scriprefs)

pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 11:38:38 MST 2008

--- DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> ha scritto:

> The well-formed warnings indicate that the verse taken by itself is not
> well-formed XML. This means that there is either a start tag without
> it's corresponding end tag or an end tag without its corresponding start
> tag in the verse. These verses will not show well in some applications
> in some situations. For example, many front-ends use HTML for display
> and may put verses in table cells (typically for parallel display).
> These may have difficulty showing the verse as you intend. All
> front-ends should degrade gracefully with modules producing these warnings.

Good now I know what to check.

> You may note that osis2mod will do some substitutions that will minimize
> these warnings. For example, it replaces every paragraph begin <p> and
> every paragraph end </p> with the <lb> element with a type attribute
> indicating which it did.
>
> The "re-versified" warning is that in SWORD a module can only have the
> verse numbers in that are in the KJV. (We are working on a change to
> SWORD that will remove that restriction, called alternate versification)
> That said, osis2mod will append any "extra" verses to the preceding verse.

Cool! This was something I *wanted* to see.. I've reached a milestone ;-).
FWIW, I am using Bible.NJB instead of Bible.KJV

While comparing in parallel with the DRC Bible I noticed I have some longer
verses.. due to the a, b .. and even f subversioning. I will make them coincide
with the DRC by adding b, c, .. whatever subverses. This is something where
using OSIS will make a difference: just like the Deuterocanonicals they won't
be seen in the module nowadays but they will be there for the day when/if sword
supports them.

Pedro.