[sword-devel] Inconveniences for Catholic bibles and devotionals

pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 10:55:50 MST 2008

--- Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> ha scritto:

> pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com wrote:
> > I have some pretty cool documents.. starting with the new Catechism of the
> > Catholic Church (in spanish), but before that (although not necessary) I
> > thought it would be nice to have a Catholic Bible.
>
> Is the CCC copyrighted? I've had an OSIS document of the CCC in English
> for a few years, but I assumed I wasn't distributing it because it was
> copyrighted. Am I confused? (Maybe you're just preparing your own module
> for personal use, so it's not any concern to you personally, but if you
> happen to know the situation, please let us know. Is the copyright
> holder fairly permissive?)

I don't have an authoritative answer but it would be safe to tag it non
commercial, personal use. It is copyrighted but the Vatican seems to be fairly
permissive: It's on their website and all over the net and several apologetic
websites have it too.  Some versions (the english .lit for example) do have
copyrighted format changes. For the time being I am busy with some of the
documents it refers to, but as far as I can see it's safe.

> > A second oops is that the GBF to OSIS converter assumes everything has KJV
> > versioning, but this Bible has mixed numbers (4a 4b, 4c , etc) I don't
> suppose
> > sword accepts such verse numbers so I sort of worked around it.
>
> Sword will take sub-verse references (properly encoded) in an OSIS
> document. It will preserve them. It has the potential to display them.
> Doing lookups based on them is not a likely future feature.

For the time being I just removed the sub-verse and the references to the
Vulgata. When I know better my way around OSIS I might fix that. The online
version of the Bible I am preparing doesn't have it so I don't think it's a
problem.

http://www.bibbiaedu.it/

> I think using GBF as a stepping stone to OSIS is really the error here.
> I'm not sure which GBF to OSIS converter you're using, but they probably
> all assume the system used in the canonical GBF documents (WEB, HNV, &
> ASV), which don't use any sub-verse references. If you want a really
> good OSIS document, you really have to target OSIS from the start.

I started from a document in plain text from here:
    http://www.liberliber.it/biblioteca/b/bibbia/index.htm
and then did extensive semi-automatic replacements to get it into GBF, getting
it to OSIS first would've been a nightmare.

(I think CrossWire could get permission to redistribute it, whom would be in
charge of that?)

Pedro.