[sword-devel] Inconveniences for Catholic bibles and devotionals

DJ Ortley djortley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:26:35 MST 2008

Chris Little wrote:
> pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I have some pretty cool documents.. starting with the new Catechism of the
>> Catholic Church (in spanish), but before that (although not necessary) I
>> thought it would be nice to have a Catholic Bible.
>>

> Is the CCC copyrighted? I've had an OSIS document of the CCC in English
> for a few years, but I assumed I wasn't distributing it because it was
> copyrighted. Am I confused? (Maybe you're just preparing your own module
> for personal use, so it's not any concern to you personally, but if you
> happen to know the situation, please let us know. Is the copyright
> holder fairly permissive?)

I don't know much about exactly what's going on, but we have
pseudo-permission from the Vatican to use the Catechism at Cathnet.org
(which isn't yet a 'live' site, but its on the net.)

 From what I understand, one needs to be sponsored by two people (I
think Bishops) and bug a particular nun in Rome to death with faxes
until she placates us by giving permission (though a little non
sequitur, Luke 18:1-9 comes to mind.)

Right now we have permission to use the Catechism (English translation)
in a limited form, but that permission is only on a trial basis right
now.  Things are currently in flux at the moment.

You know the saying, ask me tomorrow and I'll get back with you in 10 years.

-DJ