[sword-devel] Versification

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Jan 28 11:06:12 MST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Martin Gruner wrote:

>>> For bibles? Does that mean they will be stored as Genbooks in
>>> future, at
>>> least if a non-KJV versification scheme is used?
>>
>> That is what I understand.
>
> I am not sure I like this. Isn't VerseKey etc. prepared to work with
> dynamic
> versification, only canon.h fixed the index values to save space in
> the data
> files? Bibles should still be offered as Bibles, regardless of the
> impl in
> the background.

The underlying storage & indexing of Bibles will use something akin to
the RawGenBook driver and TreeKeys. The work that needs to be done yet
is to make something like the DRCgb that I just posted appear and act
like a Bible within a frontend without requiring much major work by
frontend developers.

You would still be able to give the engine a plain language verse
reference like "Genesis 1:8-12" and the engine will return the text it
finds in Treekeys /Gen/1/8 through /Gen/1/12.

Don't get hung up on the implementation. The API should hide all of
the complexities (to the extent possible). VerseKeys could handle
differing versifications, provided they were simplistic versifications
that never had out-of-order verse numbers. I'm not even sure we could
change the ordering of books using VerseKeys.

--Chris