[sword-devel] Fwd: GPL and other license related questions

peter refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Jan 27 16:16:58 MST 2008

As someone who does not code, but is a translator only, can I say something:

I am delighted that this project is GPL. It allows me to do all those
things any "gratis but unfree" license so commonly used by others does
not.Often

As a church we can distribute Sword software and target specifically our
people, by contributing to translation, by packaging with the modules we
think are important for our lot even by re-branding if we needed to do
so (we don't). In no other projetc would we have the freedom simply to
do this without asking.

In negotiations about (module) licenses the openness of the software is
an enormous boon - by telling people the advantages we as a church gain
from the GPL and explaining that they would have them too for their own
endeavours I have so far always got a listening.

The GPL is why I am here and not e.g. at e-sword.