[sword-devel] Fwd: GPL and other license related questions

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 15:37:17 MST 2008

Chris wrote:

> people who assume GPL means PD, take our work, rename & repackage,
> indeed rip them off in much worse ways).

Most of what I've seen with commercially distributed Sword Project
front ends have been outright GPL violations.  As a Bible Society,
lawsuits, or the threat of them make for very bad PR.   As a copyright
holder, ignoring them makes for very bad precedents.

Hopefully the last half dozen or so lawsuits filed by the Free
software Foundation, regarding GNU GPL violations will send a major
wake up call to companies that it is a license, and is not public
domain.

xan

jonathon