[sword-devel] Inconveniences for Catholic bibles and devotionals

peter refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Jan 27 03:06:09 MST 2008

Can not say much to the larger part of what you write.
> Finally I can't find much documentation or source examples on how to make
> devotionals. I have the Liturgy of the Hours (aka Divine Office) in word format
> but for that I need to be able to set the dates in terms of weeks and weekdays,

I think you are unable to do this. You best hope currently would be to
re-calculate and re-issue your devotions every year. Currently AFAIK the
datekey is mm.dd.

If the key was yyyy.mm.dd you would be able to do your calculation for a
reasonable yime span and create a key file for the devotion for the next
say 10 years. If the devotional is simply a collection of links it would
not be too big.

Either way, you could have a as a separate module a prayer book which is
simply ordered as prayer books are and encoded as a general book.

Your devotional calendar would then provide links to the prayer book's
relevant daily chapter(s), + links to the relevant bible passages. I am
not sure if the link to a prayerbook could be currently possible to be
automatic.

If the sword engine would be able to provide yyyy keys for the devotion
and links to genbook rather than only links to Bible you would be onto a
winner.

These two functions would obviously also help writers of complex
protestant bible reading plans or more episcopally inclined.

> it would also be pretty cool to be able to determine the liturgic time
> (ordinary, lent, advent) and some prayers are made by all the Church at
> specific times of the day. It's rather easier to do these prayers with the
> printed book, but well... I was just wondering how advanced sword was meant to
> be ;-).

If the devotional calendaring key would contain a year you could do this
calculation in advance for a few years.