[sword-devel] Fwd: GPL and other license related questions

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 22:09:07 MST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 6:19 PM, Jason Galyon <jtgalyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Titus 3:10-11

Eh?  What exactly is your point here?  Trying to warn yourself about
your own behavior?

I may not speak for the rest of the people on the list, but my feeling
about the GPL are as follows:

When I put time or energy into working on the Sword library or other
related projects, I want that software to be free (as in beer) to
everyone.  I also do not want someone else to take my work and make it
non-free (as in beer) to anyone.  That is why I am working on software
which is free and I want to ensure that said software is free and that
no one takes my efforts and attempts to make a profit out of it.  Mind
you, I am not attempting to say that all software or even that all
scripture-related software should be free.  Simply that I am putting
energy and time and effort into this project, and I do not want anyone
to put it to a use that could cause someone to be required to pay for
the Word, because I refuse to let anyone earn money from me and my
toil for the kingdom.  There are other people who earn their living
that way, and that is wonderful - they are not of concern to me.

The GPL thus enforces the fact that anyone else who builds software
off of the backs of people who have contributed to the Sword project
is required to provide that software free-of-charge.  If you want the
software to be extremely free-as-in-speech, then you are opening up
the possibility that this software might be modified and used
corporately by someone to charge money for software which I have
labored to produce and desire to keep free of charge.  Thus, I prefer
to not work on Bible Software that works in the LGPL-like license
model and prefer to stick with the GPL-like model, as Sword has done.

--Greg