[sword-devel] Great interest in doing it the OLPC way. Re: OLPC interest still?

avolunteer DrStovallFoundation pythondrs at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 22:34:19 MST 2008

Developers,
The OLPC greatest innovation is educational not technical.  I
previously posted that OLPC had given us several technical
innovations and imitations.  India heard OLPC and now thinks
they will build a $10 (that's right ten US dollar) computer in
India.  But Rapier and the best Sword implementations are a
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong llllllllllong
way from being anything near the educational quality worthy of
the OLPC designers.  I could and should write another book
about this.  But there are many other things which I could and
should do.  I'll just say this.  The OLPC was designed to
enable "playful learning."  Nearly 30 years ago, I made Paul's
Gramcord run on the 1 MhZ floppy disk system that was sold to
Theological schools.  It was a far better Bible study program
than any of the Sword interfaces and is still being used in
many of the best theological schools.  But it does not do what
the Lord has laid on my heart and it is not "playful learning."
Sword serves a great purpose for mature minds who want to stay
in touch with the Holy Scriptures.  I am thrilled to have
Rapier on my N800.  It would serve a very few children better
than a book would.  But the majority of this world's children
need "playful learning."  Please see laptop.org for more
information and also Google for "playful learning."
A Volunteer

PS  Pierre knows how to get on with people.  You may want to
reread the following.  Especially the part about getting as
many people as possible to either do it your way or their way.