[sword-devel] Verse ranges and module checking

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 05:15:45 MST 2008

Hi,

Just a few questions,

1. I was doing some analysis of the connections inside the TSK module, and
discovered that the books of Psalms and Genesis linked to every other book
except judges. I thought this was a bit strange, so I looked and found that
the TSK uses ranges like "Jud 11:1-12:37" for linking to judges. Under the
English (UK) locale, this works fine, but under the English (US) locale,
this goes to revelation (the next book after jude). I think this needs to be
changed in line with how the UK locale does it.

2. I have thought from time to time about adding a facility to let users
flag sections of the module as incorrect. Would there be any interest in
making this a part of the core library? If used properly, this would lead to
much higher quality modules. There are a number of times when I have noticed
mistakes in modules, but I didn't know what to do with it. I would think
this would be true for most users. This would require a central location to
upload to (presumably the crosswire servers)

3. I would like to have behaviour like this not happen:
>>> vk=Sword.VerseKey()
>>> lk=vk.ParseVerseList("Gen 5:3-", "", True)
>>> lk.getRangeText()
'Genesis 5:3-Revelation of John 22:21'
SWORD seems to put revelation 22:21 in quite often if it can't understand
the reference.
For example, in Jer 25:22 in the TSK, one of the links is like so:
"27:3; 47:4; Eze 26:1-28:1-19; 29:18; Am 1:9,10; Zec 9:2-4"
Parsing this gives:
>>> vk.ParseVerseList("27:3; 47:4; Eze 26:1-28:1-19; 29:18; Am 1:9,10; Zec
9:2-4", "", True).getRangeText()
'Revelation of John 27:3; Revelation of John 47:4; Ezekiel 26:1-Revelation
of Jo
hn 22:21; Ezekiel 28:1-Ezekiel 28:19; Ezekiel 29:18; Amos 1:9; Amos 1:10;
Zechar
iah 9:2-Zechariah 9:4'

4: Quite a while ago I asked about finding when a verse was out of bounds (
e.g. Matthew 101:55). I have managed to check this for single verses
properly (by turning off AutoNormalize and then checking), but once I try
parsing verse ranges, it autonormalizes. Like so:
>>> t="Gen 55:3-9"
>>> vk.AutoNormalize(False)
'\x01'
>>> vk.ParseVerseList(t, "", True).getRangeText()
'Exodus 5:3-Exodus 5:9'

Is there any way I can get around this?

5. Another thing I have wondered about is the possibility of a tag which
says to the application to insert given verses from the Bible into this
spot. Especially in commentaries and in gospel harmonies, there may be
occasions where they include the whole text of a verse. It would be much
nicer to be able to have a tag (or an attribute on a tag) which would tell
the application to fill this in. This could just end up as a link if the tag
were not supported by the application. Is there any way to do anything like
this?

God Bless,
Ben
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish,
but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)