[sword-devel] Weddings .......

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:37:16 MST 2008

Barry,

The laws governing this are bound by the state and municipal statutes,
as each state in the USA creates and maintains its own marriage laws.
AFAIK the main issue is whether the Episcopal Church in New York would
recognize your ordination.  Your best bet is to contact the diocese in
NYC and ask if your ordination is valid there for signing marriage
certificates.  If they don't know, you can try contacting the local
authorities (e.g. have your friend ask the city clerk who is giving
out the marriage license), but it's my understanding that they'll
refer you to the church.  As I understand it, if the church here
recognizes your ordination as permitting you to administer the
sacraments, you're probably fine.

--Greg