[sword-devel] Weddings .......

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:37:16 MST 2008


The laws governing this are bound by the state and municipal statutes,
as each state in the USA creates and maintains its own marriage laws.
AFAIK the main issue is whether the Episcopal Church in New York would
recognize your ordination.  Your best bet is to contact the diocese in
NYC and ask if your ordination is valid there for signing marriage
certificates.  If they don't know, you can try contacting the local
authorities (e.g. have your friend ask the city clerk who is giving
out the marriage license), but it's my understanding that they'll
refer you to the church.  As I understand it, if the church here
recognizes your ordination as permitting you to administer the
sacraments, you're probably fine.


On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Hi there ......
>  Forgive this blatantly off-topic cry for help.  I've just had a sad
>  e-mail from my friend.  I am going over to New York in June to take part
>  in her wedding at an Episcopal church on Staten Island.  She has sent me
>  a cry for help.  The Priest has been called away by his Bishop and can
>  no longer officiate.  Can I do the whole thing?  I'd love to, and I'd be
>  glad to.  I haven't a clue whether it would be legal.
>  Any knowledgeable answers here?
>  God bless,
>  Barry
>  -- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United
>  Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for
>  our church homepages).
>  Replies - b.drake at ntlworld.com
>  _______________________________________________
>  sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
>  http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
>  Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

More information about the sword-devel mailing list