[sword-devel] Free Bible texts from the Catholic Bible Society (was Other Bible Texts)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Feb 14 11:25:33 MST 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello guys;
>
> I just received an email from Francisco Anta from "Sociedad Biblica Catolica
> Internacional". They produce excellent Bibles in many languages, and their
> objectives pretty much match what sword wants.
>
> When I asked for permission to redistribute their text he said
> ------------(my translation)
> For years now we have made available in our website
> - LA BIBLIA LATINOAMERICANA
> - EL LIBRO DEL PUEBLO DE DIOS
> - THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY BIBLE (English)
> - LA BIBLE DES PEUPLES (French).
>
> http://www.sobicain.org/menu_biblia.asp
>
> All are for free access and use, they are complete with notes, maps,
> commentaries, liturgy, etc. Anyone can consult them with absolute freedom.
> _____________
>
> Now I need help...
>

> - 4 Bibles are too much for me ;-).

Maybe not really, if they all follow the same conventions.

> - Anyone has good ideas on how to grab all that text into something that can be
> OSISfied?

First you should find out if there exist some better sources for these
texts than the html files. I believe that there is, because at least the
English texts have plenty of errors where one word is divided into two
parts (e.g. Gen 1:4, John 1:15) and many errors of one kind most
probably point to erroneous conversion, not to original spelling
mistakes.

After that you have to find out what features the text has (these ones
have at least commentary footnotes and crossreferences, headers, poetic
lines and many other smaller features). Then you have to find out how
these are represented in OSIS. Then you have to find out how they are
represented in the original source files.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland