[sword-devel] New SWORD website - update

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Dec 30 16:00:49 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> I agree. The SWORD Project is a special case. But I think, as has also
> been suggested by some, that we could move most of the developer section
> to the wiki. It doesn't necessarily have to have similar design to the
> CrossWire pages which are meant for outsiders.

We have done this already. In a sense the Wiki is now what the SWORD
website was - the nuts and bolts section where you get the info you need
to get to work and make things.

So the SWORD website has been gutted and is really quite difficult to
keep alive as a viable thing. Too little of value is left in it - apart
from the news section and the module list. JSword is a bit of an oddity
here as its stuff is still mostly in its own site. I have scraped the
bottom of ~sword and came up with extremely few pages of any relevance.
After you take out what is better covered in the wiki you are left with
three things - an acknowldgment that SWORD is the nucleus of our
activities, the news section and the modules. I largely would agree that
the modules should be linked to from the CrossWire page, just like the
software, but the concern is that we would create a rod for our own back
- at least until we have resolved the situation around the windows self
extracting modules and have them in a format useful for all Windwos
frontends.

> If we think what people are searching for, it is: Bible software, text
> modules. If the software list was already using the CrossWire looks so
> should the module list. The module list should definitely be taken away
> from the engine pages. Peter is doing the right thing there, though I
> agree with Chris that the new blueprint is not necessarily more useful
> or more user friendly than the old one. But it's a good start.

Since starting to receive feedback I have again started to take the site
at www.crosswire.org/sword/newpage apart, so it is not exactly anymore
representative of anything. But bottomline is that I want to pursue a
design similar to the Crosswire site - for SWORD and for CrossWire
hosted frontends to make things unified. Frontends - look at
www.crosswire.org/qpsword and ../flashcards, Both were sites based in
the originl CW design, so the changes are minimal, mainly splitting
pages and adding links to forums etc.

Peter