[sword-devel] Vanishing news item

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Dec 30 02:15:04 MST 2008

Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> I put up yesterday a news item on a new release of a minor frontend ,
> bringing it in line with current modules.
>
> Within a short while the item had vanished without trace.
> If this was a deletion by someone else who did not care to tell me that
> s/he did not agree with me putting up that item, then I would like to
> receive some clarification what we consider news for the site:
>
> My understanding was that releases of frontends are news, that all
> frontends listed on the site should be considered newsworthy and that we
> wanted in general have more news flowing through the system to make the
> news stream reflect the amount of work - minor or major - which is
> happening.

Sorry, I'd have told you about this in IRC today, but I haven't seen you
on today. I deleted the notice about LcdBible.

The news item talked about a new release. The most recent release
(according to the LcdBible page) was 2.5 years ago. The author has since
abandoned that project. The LcdBible forms have been inactive for over
2.5 years. So, I consider that project dead, don't think news of it will
be forthcoming, don't believe extremely old news about it should be
posted, and believe that it should be included with the listed frontends
on the CrossWire main site. The last of these points I either made or
agreed with when it was brought up previously. And de-listing it would
be consistent with the criteria for de-listing other frontends.

So, to summarize: news is good; 2.5 year old new is not good.

--Chris