[sword-devel] New SWORD website - update

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Dec 27 10:01:08 MST 2008

Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> I have made a conscious decision not to allow the full range of
> languages for selection, but instead will offer a few and advise seekers
> of other languages to chose the "all languages" option.
>
> The reasons are as follows:
>
> If I wanted to offer all languages as a selection scroll down I would
>
> a) have an enormously long list of languages which are probably largely
> irrelevant for website downloads (our Mexican beta languages).
>
> b) would need to make the page offer different language selections
> dependent on choice of beta or not. This would require java scripting or
> round trip and two stage chosing which is something i felt was not
> desirable.
>
> The actual list of languages I offer as "frequently chosen" is just
> thrown together right now, but requires some work - suggestions welcome.
> I would think anything more than 15-20 languages would be wrong.
>
> I was thinking of creating a multi language selection but decided that
> the trouble I had getting it working like it is meant I am currently not
> able (dt lack of knowledge) to do this in a reasonable time frame. And I
> want that website working.

Limiting the possibilities is probably a good decision. The list should
be carefully crafted. I think it should be based on the amount of
modules and amount of users. Most languages have only one or two
modules. How about giving only 4 languages: English, German, Ancient
Greek (not modern as it is now!), Old Hebrew. The ancient languages
could be bundled together, but is it too much work to create language
"bundles"?

I would like to see possibility to sort the list according to module
type OR language. If I try to find all Finnish modules (hypothetical -
there are only Bibles) I don't like browsing through several categories.
Actually the browser Find function is the only easy way to find modules.
I guess quite many people want to find all available modules for their
language.

There are many language names which my Firefox doesn't show correctly:
Chinantec, Ozumac?n
Kekch?
Are they really utf-8?

If the module is in Beta repository it should be marked explicitly.

The zip packages were discussed already. I think this should be changed:
"Windows users should click on the link in the WINDOWS column, while
Linux users should click on the link in the RAW Zip column."
Instead it shoud be clearly stated that application module managers are
preferred and some instruction given how to install using the zip files.

An error. I Selected Bibles/Greek first and then Bible/All languages.

*type* Exception report

*message*

*description* _The server encountered an internal error () that
prevented it from fulfilling this request._

*exception*

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 295 in the jsp file: /newpage/pages/ModDispAlternative.jsp
j cannot be resolved
292: <%
293:
294: if (!(langReq.equals("xx"))) {%><h2 class="headbar"> <%=(String)Languages.getLanguageName(langReq)%></h2><%}
295: %><p>The following are <%= modTypes[j] %> that can be used in any SWORD API based Bible program.  To download, simply click on the link.  Windows users should click on the link in the WINDOWS column, while Linux users should click on the link in the RAW Zip column.  For more information about a module, click the Info link beside it.</p>
297: <%
298: try { for (int j = 0; j < modTypes.length; j++) {

Stacktrace:
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:92)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:330)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:423)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:317)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:295)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:282)
	org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:586)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:317)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

--Eeli Kaikkonen