[sword-devel] OSIS Bible Name guidelines ?

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Dec 23 12:09:30 MST 2008

Hi Tonny,

To be honest the best set up for you would not be OSIS at this stage.
There are not the right tools available yet. Bible translators use
usually USFM which is where all the really good tools are available for.

Large parts of the difficulty of translation in general and Bible
translation in particular is to be consistent - and this is where the
tools will help you to stay right.

The most commonly used tool appears to be Paratext, but it works only
soso on Linux and is anyway not easily available.

So the one right for you would be Bibledit, which is an excellent USFM
editor, fully open source, running on Linux, very light weight (runs on
those kiddies' computers from OLPC) and with an excellent collection of
tools - making use that all verses are translated, keeping all your
notes etc under version control, allowing you to have word lists etc for
consistency etc.

After the translation is completed, as long as your USFM use is clean a
transfer into OSIS is simple.

God bless you in this undertaking.

Peter