[sword-devel] OSIS Bible Name guidelines ?

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Dec 22 03:09:39 MST 2008

Quoting Tonny Kohar <tonny.kohar at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Is there somekind of name guidelines for OSIS module eg: KJV (King
> James Version), ESV (English Standard Versions), etc ?
> I mean the naming convention and the use of special character
> - is it must be 3 or 4 letter eg: KJV, NIV,ESV, NASB, UKJV for short name ?
> - How about long name eg: King James Version, is there any limit of
> max letter ?
> - the use of special character eg: dash (-), parentheses (), tilde
> (~), etc is allowed ?
> - any other guidelines/constraints ?
>
> And how to avoid duplicated names with existing one ? is there any
> kind of registered name/registration body to avoid duplicate name ?

I'm not sure but I guess OSIS doesn't dictate the module names. For
the modules in Sword binary format the module name should be as short
as possible and include only ascii alphanumeric and no whitespace.
Some people have created modules with longer names, up to about 15
characters. There is no centralized management for names, you just
have to be careful. You can always ask here.

We have just (within about one week, if you want to read the archive)
had discussion about i18n for config entry strings and also about
adding a short name field. There is need for a short name which can be
translated and which could be used in user interfaces. Currently the
module name is used, but it is clumsy and anglocentric. The
Description field is not limited (at least seriously) although it
should be short, too, but it can't be easily used in user interfaces
because it may be too long for small space. See also
http://crosswire.org/wiki, the module conf file section.

--Eeli Kaikkonen