[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 21:37:35 MST 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:00 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tonny Kohar wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 2:41 AM, Tonny Kohar <tonny.kohar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,

>>> Just quick questions, is that Mac OSX location (~/Library/Application
>>> Support/Sword) is mapped into env variable which is accesssible/able
>>> to get the value from System.getProperties (java program) ? or it must
>>> be hard coded ?
>>>

>> Almost forgot, Does the mentioned path above is in English
>> (~/Library/Application/Support/Sword) ?
>> Does Mac OSX allow folder path to be put using other language eg:
>> chinese/japanese/etc.
>>
>> ps: Windows allows folder and file path/name using other language.
>>

> Tonny,
>
> I didn't know about the alternate languages for Windows. No one has reported
> a problem yet. My hope is that Windows uses "Application Data" regardless of
> language, as this folder is created by the OS.
>
> The code JSword uses is here:
> http://crosswire.org/svn/jsword/trunk/common/src/main/java/org/crosswire/common/util/OSType.java
>
> A couple of things:
> 1) The java property os.name is used to determine the kind of OS.
> OSType.fromString(System.getProperty("os.name")) will figure out what the OS
> is.
> 2) The static OSType.getOSType() will return the proper OSType for the
> machine.
> 3) Given the proper OSType for the machine, the method:
> getUserAreaFolder(".sword", "Sword")
> will return a complete path to the appropriately named folder in the OSes
> app data area for the user.
> 4) the path is based upon the Java property user.home, which can be changed
> via -Duser.home=/somewhere/else. This is very useful.
>
> It is typically called in this fashion:
> URI appDataArea = OSType.getOSType().getUserAreaFolder(".jsword", "JSword");
> For my home computer, this evaluates to
> "file:///Users/DM/Library/Application Support/JSword"
> On windows, I get something like "file:///c:/Documents and
> Settings/dm/Application Data/JSword".
> Elsewhere (Linux, BSD, ...), I get "file:///home/dmsmith/.jsword".
> (I might have too many or few /// in file:/// :)
>
> There are a couple of places that Mac specific behavior needs to be added
> (e.g. placing preferences on the proper menu) so the following construct can
> be used:
> if (OSType.MAC.equals(OSType.getOSType()))
> {
> .... do something Mac specific ...
> }

Thanks for the info it is very appreciated. Look like I have some
coding to do for Alkitab to follow the spec :)

Another questions, once the spec is decided (for module path). What is
your plan, do you will put it on the  (JSword/Sword) as API or it will
be handled by the application itself (BD, Alkitab, etc) ?

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Alkitab Bible Study