[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 13:05:16 MST 2008

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> OK, so would this be a fair assessment of the requests on the table?
>
> To the C++ Engine add searching in:
>
> $HOME/Library/Application Support/sword
> $APPDATA/sword
> $ALLUSERSPROFILE/sword

Please use Sword and not sword. It matters for the first one as that is
what MacSword and BibleDesktop use on the Mac. On windows it doesn't
matter, as windows is case insensitive, but BibleDesktop and one of the
other apps in this thread already use upper case.

> Change the C++ Engine to 'augment' the installed module list with any
> works found on any path, instead of the precedence implemented currently.

Yes. I'd amend this to be a readable folder, too. (On Linux it is
possible for a directory to be seen but not readable.)

> Add the concept of an 'install location' to be the 'first' found
> writable location.
Yes, for the most part. When BibleCS (or BibleDesktop or GS for Windows
or BPBible) is installed after one of the other SWORD apps for Windows,
it should pre-empt the current install location. To ensure this the
lookup order needs to be changed to look for the OS preferred locations
first.

I'm mostly concerned with the . and the .. specified locations. I think
these should be deprecated. What is . or .. for one application is not
for another. And it differs by OS and by programming language.

> Make both JSword and SWORD operate exactly the same for module set
> lookups.

This would be good. But I think that backward compatibility is
important. JSword used to behave very badly, storing modules in
~/.jsword (this was before my involvement.). So we will still look
there, but will never use that location to install modules. In fact, if
we find it, we automatically migrate it to a proper location.

In Him,
    DM