[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:41:56 MST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Both MacSword and JSword will set the install location to
> ~/Library/Application Support/Sword.

Just quick questions, is that Mac OSX location (~/Library/Application
Support/Sword) is mapped into env variable which is accesssible/able
to get the value from System.getProperties (java program) ? or it must
be hard coded ?

> On Windows, JSword will use $APPDATA/Sword. I'll be happy to add
> $ALLUSERSPROFILE/Sword before looking here. I think this is a good idea. I
> was unaware of $PUBLIC, so I'll have to do some reading here.
> Besides this addition to SWORD's lookup, JSword looks at OS locations first.
> JSword also "guesses" that BibleCS is installed in the default location and
> looks for C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\mods.d (from memory,
> so I may not have the path right). It looks here before looking at
> ../sword.conf.
> The other difference is that JSword looks for a sword.conf in each of these
> locations. And if found, processes it first.

Another things, related to module install folder. Does all that
variable eg: $APPDATA, $ALLUSERPROFILE, etc are
accesible/retrievale/able to get the value from various programming
language used eg: c/c++, java, xxx ? I do not know about other
programming language, but in java, some env variable are exposed
through System.getProperties().

Because if that variable is not exposed in the your favorite language,
how do you know the location without hard coded ? Hard coded path can
be problematic if the admin change the mapping from default location
to custom path eg: on network drive.

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--