[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Chris Morgan chris.morganiser at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 00:03:39 MST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Ben Morgan <benpmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:

> BPBible allows the user to install any of the formats (raw, windows or mac)
> by dragging onto the application or selecting them in a file picker. It
> currently has a configurable list of paths - by default this just includes
> the resources subdirectory of the BPBible installation directory.

To fill out about BPBible's current default module directories, the Windows
installer searches for BibleCS and puts it into the list; this way it's more
compatible with it :-)

To see the code as it currently is, look
here<http://code.google.com/p/bpbible/source/browse/trunk/installer/bpbible.iss.template?r=424#65>at
lines 65-81.  First, it looks in the registry at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\sword.exe.  This is put there by BibleCS when it runs.  If it finds
it, then that is one of its paths.
Also, it adds {app}\resources as a path, where {app} is the install path
specified by the user; by default then then this'll usually be C:\Program
Files\BPBible\resources.

End result: the default resource paths for BPBible give no writeable paths
to Vista.  Uh oh.  Especially because of this, I think that
$ALLUSERSPROFILE\Sword and/or $PUBLIC\Sword sounds a good idea.  Another
opinion from me: Why would $APPDATA be preferred over $ALLUSERPROFILE?
Normally I would expect all users to want to have about the same set of
modules; however, when I think about it, I'm also not sure whether users
would want other users to be able to delete their modules... not that any of
this really matters much to me - all I really do for BPBible is the
installer (switching to a decent NSIS based one soon) and BPBible Portable
:-)
Also, in my experience, $SWORD_PATH is not normally set, whereas
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\sword.exe is.  Draw out from that what you will ;-)

God bless,

Chris Morgan <chris.morganiser at gmail.com>

I don't need a quote in my signature.