[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Dec 18 22:44:27 MST 2008

Our engine has a number of ways which it can be configured and these all
work on all platforms.  We don't remove support for some ways of
configuration on certain platforms-- including $HOME/.sword.  If you
have something there, then it will do the appropriate SWORD thing (in
the case of $HOME/.sword it will augment any other configuration
location found by adding modules found here).  I use the same file
system and SWORD library install on a number of system.  It's fun.  Try
adding an /etc/sword.conf to your windows drive :)  Don't use it if you
think it shouldn't be there on windows.

The appropriate response to where modules are officially found on any OS
by the SWORD engine (should also be with JSword as well) is:

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/INSTALL
under the DETAILS section.

We should stay unified on this (and other things).

These many configuration options allows OS friendly locations by letting
any app installer either include a ./sword.conf which specifies where to
look for modules, or else setting env SWORD_PATH (if they don't like the
other default locations scanned).

So, for example, if we decide our windows apps should be installed to
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\<APP_NAME>\ and want to put all our modules
under C:\Program Files\CrossWire\library\ then we can do this now
without any configuration additions.  We can set a SWORD_HOME env
variable if we think they should be in a different place.  I personally
don't think modules should go under the AppData folder under windows.  I
don't think module data is user data at all.  It is not, for example,
user specific email, or anything like that.  It is an integral part of
the application and not user specific, per se.  Plus, I personally like
to keep my sword install all together so I can, say, drag it to a USB
stick or copy it to CD or whatever.  We don't count on any registry
settings either, and we're not planning to change that anytime soon.

	-Troy.