[sword-devel] Adding abbreviated names to the module conf file (was Re: isalnum(3) for i18n)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 07:46:03 MST 2008

DM Smith wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2008, at 4:04 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>

>> I think an argument could be had for following scheme combining both
>> proposals into following:
>>
>> [Config_entry]_original
>>
>> [Config_entry] [locale] and ubiquitous installation of a English locale
>> which in turn would be returned by the machine if a locale is set but
>> does not deliver.
>
> The [xxx] mechanism is built into the type of file that is being
> processed. The [xxx] is a section indicator.

Sorry, this was me not being clear, not knowing some conventions and
making up my own. Never a good thing. I meant with [Config_entry] a
place holder for any configuration entry, not just the Name - and
certainly no section header.

In a sense the arbitrary localised module name is not as important as
long as the original name is possible to use.

But module descriptions etc, all the other (semi)free text fields would
gain endlessly by being localisable. They are the real bug bear as Tom
Cornell points out.

If I as a German would submit another ancient manuscript as a module
with a German description etc, despite being otherwise in
Greek/Hebrew/whatever, this would be a problem to you English speakers -
despite it being just as useful to you than to me.

At the moment you would have no options but either compel me to offer an
English module description instead of my German one or put up with some
crucial info missing.

By having all free text config entries localisable, anyone of you could
simply write/translate an equivalent English text, while Eeli can add a
Finish one.

Peter