[sword-devel] Adding abbreviated names to the module conf file (was Re: isalnum(3) for i18n)

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Tue Dec 16 20:21:49 MST 2008

This is a good issue to discuss. I think both Chris and Peter's ideas
have merit.

- It would be nice to have more than one alternative, tied  either to
the current locale or to some configuration option (it is up to the
front-end developer, if you ask me, how they use this information)
- The default should not necessarily be English. This is what Chris is
suggesting. The default display ought to be in the language that the
module developer decides (usually the language of that module, except in
the case of ancient texts, in which case probably English should be the
default).
- An English equivalent should be there for the sake of developers at
the very least, and then there should be the ability to add third,
fourth, fifth, etc., options for those items to be accessed by
front-ends in some way (according to their choosing).
- I think Chris is right that we should keep the language of Description
and About and add Abbr (not Name, though BriefTitle or AbbrTitle would
also make sense to me). The module developer should decide in what
language those should be written. Whether we use Abbr_en or enAbbr is
something for front-end developers to decide.

One further item I would like to propose is an Author field. This is not
so important for Bibles (and maybe for most dictionaries), but for most
books the author is a major factor in whether one uses it or not (way
more important than title). It could be argued that the author ought to
be in the Description or About, but if front-ends in the future want to
enable users to sort the books in their library by author, title,
subject, etc., then there needs to be a field for that. It also
facilitates bibliographic citation for students and scholars. The more
books are added, the more important this becomes. And it also ought to
be localizable (I'm thinking especially of Chinese authors). A Publisher
field could be useful too, but that usually is given in the About field,
so I wouldn't push for it as long as the full bibliographic information
is there somewhere.

Daniel