[sword-devel] CrossWire website up and running

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 12:26:13 MST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Agree with the OS icons being jittery and needing to be made more obvious.
>
> Not jittery anymore, but a nbetter solution which is IE6 firm needs to
> be found.

Honestly?  Do we really need to bend over backwards to support a
browser that's about a decade old?  If it's a minor fix like the
problems in CSS or your HTML you mentioned in the other thread, sweet,
but how much work really needs to go into supporting IE6?

>> I'd like to see the banner and sidebar fixed and the content of the page
>> scroll (without frames, iframes or javascript). I'll see what I can do,
>> but don't hold your breath:)
>
> That is easily done, but I would consider it a low priority. Remind me
> if I have not come round to it after a time.

If DM means fixed width, I strongly disagree.  My biggest pet-peeve
with webpages, especially those which are mainly text with small icons
like crosswire.org is when they have a fixed width.  I didn't grab a
monitor capable of spreading my text out over 24 inches so that some
page programmer can dictate to me that I get 800 pixels wide or 1024
wide worth of used real estate and am forced to scroll for the rest of
it.  That's why I use my desktop and a monitor like this - so I don't
have to scroll at all.  On the other hand, having it display
beautifully on my iPhone right now makes me happy.  If you force it to
be x > 240px wide, then I'm ruined on there, being forced to scroll
all over the place in different directions to get to content that I
can see just fine now.  Leave it the way it is, please, and don't make
me scroll vertically on my desktop and horizontally on my handheld,
when I don't have to scroll either direction on either one at the
moment.

--Greg