[sword-devel] CLucene Indexes

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Dec 5 17:25:40 MST 2008

Dear Ian,

Are you using the latest version of SWORD from SVN along with its
clucene integration (and the latest version of clucene)?  We had done
some work to optimize index creation.  It shouldn't take anywhere near 1
minute on a desktop system.  We've talked about distributing indexes in
the past, but there are a number of down sides (indexes are related to
the version of the engine you are using, not the version of the module--
due to the engine deciding of different fields to create in the doc for
new features, etc.; indexes would have to be compatible between jsword
and sword, which I believe they are not exactly compatible right now
(because we index different items); etc.)  If you freeze your app to a
specific sword engine version and clucene version, then you could
provide the indexes from another site which your app could download when
the user chose to download a module (your option 3).

But, I would first like to work on optimizing the index build times.

	-Troy.