[sword-devel] Website: "help" direction + improved blurbs

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 05:13:05 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> Next item - I have updated and expanded on some blurbs, but would really
> appreciate if I could get some input from you good folk. Within teh
> current layout and planning to accommodate OS icons I can accommodate
> about 90 words per application. For most I have a < 10 sentence stating
> this is a really powerful application. So, please do send me something -
>  otherwise I might make it all up and then let it all rot for another 5
> years... ;-) - really important is the number of GUI translations your
> applications have.

I'm not sure whether the winking smile applies to the 5 years, or the
importance of the number of GUI translations. I presume the former. If not,
feel free to ignore this next bit.
The number of GUI translations does not make a particular Bible program
either good or bad. This is a very bad way to rate how good a program is.
The primary language of use, no matter how many translations you put in, is
likely to be English. I'm just wondering whether this is harped on in SWORD
because it is the only thing done better than any other application. Sorry
if that sounds harsh.

And no, I'm not against i18n - I think it is a good thing. That is why I
added it to BPBible 0.4. But it is not the "main" feature of crosswire
products.

How about this for a blurb for BPBible (I'm open to different suggestions,
but this was what Jon and I came up with quickly):
BPBible is an exciting new piece of Bible software which empowers the user.
Flexible and user friendly, with a wide variety of available Bibles,
dictionaries, commentaries, and other books, it could easily become your
first point of call for Bible Study. It has features usually found only in
expensive commercial software, such as a word proximity based cross-verse
search, and is available in Vietnamese and English. It works well under both
Windows and Linux, and is also an official PortableApp.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,
   in the valley of decision!