[sword-devel] Pre-verse hack Was: Re: Small problem with section headers in an OSIS module

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Dec 1 15:23:22 MST 2008

OK, I can't remember all my arguments for keeping the infamous
"Pre-verse hack", but generally, the logic goes something like this:

module content is displayed in many different contexts: the obvious
contextual display, search results, popup verse lists for x-ref,
references, etc. parallel displays, and such.

A goal for the engine is to make easy things easy and more complicated
things possible.

So,

SWMgr library;
SWModule &kjv = library.getModule("KJV");
kjv.setKey("jn.3.16");
cout << kjv;

should be understandable and straightforward by most any beginning C++
programmer.

If the programmer were expected to skip content until they found the
<verse> tag, then it would become much more complicated.

The response would be... well, let the filters strip everything before
the verse tag and place it in the pre-verse entryAttributes slot.

My response is: osis2mod should do this keeping the logic out of
multiple filters and running in realtime, but instead only in one
codebase and only once in the importer/import activity.

I'm not necessarily against retaining the n attribute of <verse>, or
even the <verse> tag-- unless the <verse> tag becomes the place marker
for start of canonical text, as essential has been suggested.  I
wouldn't mind having a new entryAttributes()["verse"]["n"]["body"] =
"3-12";  And we could pull this from a <verse n="3-12"> if left in the
content, but THIS <verse> tag SHOULDN'T represent the MARKER WHERE
DISPLAY SHOULD START.  In fact, if we included <verse> in the content,
I'm quite sure we would digress to this usage, which makes things much
more complicated per above argument.

I'm very much in favour of extending pre-verse to include all pre-verse
content-- not just title.

Thoughts?

	-Troy.