[sword-devel] New front page CrossWire

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 10:52:39 MST 2008

Great start.
Couple of thoughts:
The page has always been a bit terse. I think a very short introduction
would be in order.

I suggest listing the front-ends first and the "projects" second. Or
moving the projects (aka development entirely to the wiki). Several of
us postulate that this page is of the most use to end-users and not
developers.

I'd also suggest that we have add the wiki and forums to the page,
perhaps in the top level menu.

WRT the platform distinction, I agree that it needs to be re-worked.
With BT going cross-platform and with GS being compiled for Windows, it
needs to be different. Since most of our users are Windows, this still
needs to be prominent, easy and obvious.... Maybe a platform icon next
to each application with the apps being sorted by Win then Mac and
finally Unix. I think SwordWeb should be near the top, if not at the top.

With regard to what is listed and what is not listed: I don't think that
apps that are under initial development should be listed, unless they be
near 1.0, i.e. useful without much support. Apps that aren't actively
being maintained should be dropped, unless they are mature or currently
widely used.

It may be a good idea to point to other non-CrossWire apps that serve a
distinct niche that is not served by the SWORD engine. But it should be
distinctly marked. Having a link to another page might be good.

In Him,
    DM