[sword-devel] module statistics

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:14:55 MST 2008

Troy,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Hey guys.  We have a few needs which need addressing:
>
> Log files got a new naming convention recently.  Instead of:
>
> ffff
> ffff.1
> ffff.2
>
> It has become
>
> ffff
> ffff-20080819
> ffff-20080818
>
> Hence our perl scripts that generate module statistics are not working,
> seen on the left panel here:

I don't know thing 1 on Perl, so editing that is out for me.  A
rewrite is possible into Python if no one with Perl knowledge shows
up.

> http://crosswire.org/sword
>
> Also, Crossway asks for periodic download statistics for their ESV
> module.  I generated the last report for them by hand, but I would love
> for someone to write a script that would run on the first of each month
> and email them statistics for the previous month.

What format is the file in (I'm guessing it's an Apache file access
log)?  A simple Python script should be more than sufficient for this
purpose.  I can probably whip one up in little time.  Also, what
statistics are you in need of -- just a download count or do you also
want to have information on the unique IP address downloads, etc.  A
sample of one line of the file (or multiple lines, if a file access is
spread across several lines) which pertains to the ESV should be
sufficient to base the work off of -- more would be appropriate if
there are multiple formats the line appears in.  Also, odds are good
that the same script can be used to generate the statistics for any
individual module.

--Greg