[sword-devel] isalnum(3) for i18n

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Aug 13 09:40:16 MST 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Daniel Blake wrote:

> I may be missing something here, but the "Description" field was
> included so an actual description of a module could be added.
> Descriptions are very important for people to choose which modules they
> want to use/look at.  Many times the name of a module just isn't enough
> to tell people what the module is about.  Similar to the front and back
> cover of books for review before purchasing them.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to add a field for the localized name and use the
> description field for it's intended purpose?

The situation seems to be unclear. Right now descriptions are and they
should be short, usually it's a couple of words giving the real name of
the work and the writer. It should be short enough to fit into module
lists in user interfaces, though a name of a real book may well be quite
long.

I would really like to see those descriptions in two languages because
I'm curious. Even if I can't read some language I may look at a module.
Especially for general books it would be nice to know what they are
about. That information may not be necessary, but I speak now as an
end user who is curious and wants to know unnecessary details. After
all, that's how many people are.

I understand the point of "if you can't read it, you don't need to know
about it". But I think it's not valid. People want to know and
even need to know things which someone else can't anticipate.

BTW, most of the Descriptions seem to be in English. Even most of the
Bible translations which have their names in the native language have
the English name of the language in their descriptions.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland