[sword-devel] isalnum(3) for i18n

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Aug 12 09:48:50 MST 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Chris Little wrote:
> 2) The module name is intended for use by developers, not necessarily
> for display to users. That's why the constraint is iscsym--to
> facilitate use within code. If you want to suggest the addition of a
> short abbreviation .conf tag, that's a different matter.

People seem to get used to those short abbreviations but still they are
not very user friendly. Actually I would like to have two extra tags: a
short abbreviation in the language of the module and a description in
the language of the module. In internationalized and localized
environments it's important to have both English and native language
information available. As a user and as a developer I want to see
information which I can understand even if I can't read the module.
Therefore English short description is important. But I would like to
have also a short Finnish abbreviation in Finnish modules. It's quite
stupid to for example copy a quote which have "FinPR" attached while
no-one uses that in Finnish - it's usually "KR 38" or something like
that.

It has occurred to my mind that a frontend could offer a UI for giving
the abbreviation. User could give whatever string he wanted and it could
be used in module lists and in other places. It would of course be
stored separately, not in the module conf.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland