[sword-devel] Bible Software Review

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 23:51:26 MST 2008

Hi,

In BPBible, regular expressions in the search are more provided for advanced
users. A regular expression builder would, I think, be very complicated.
BPBible allows wildcards, which are much simpler to use. A more detailed
description of how to search is at:
http://code.google.com/p/bpbible/wiki/Search
This should probably be integrated into BPBible so that users can easily get
at it

I could relatively easily add the font changing options. However, at the
moment BPBible supports English Bibles only. I need to have a look at
unicode support sometime soon (after InstallMgr, probably)

Parallel display is also something that could be done relatively easily. I
would probably integrate this into the verse compare pane, rather than into
the main pane.
(Doing items in parallel will presumably lead to a verse per line style,
unless something clever is done)

I appreciate the Linux installation can be a bit more difficult. I think
this is more a lack of documentation, than anything else. It should boil
down to approximately the following:

Download BPBible and SWIG bindings
Extract SWIG bindings and bpbible
Go to package directory in the SWIG bindings and run:
./configure
make pythonswig
make python_make
cd python
python setup.py install

Go to the BPBible directory and run
python bpbible.py

You may need to add additional options at various stages (for example, you
may need to sudo before doing the bindings installation)

BPBible is missing the following features from SWORD for windows (there may
be others as well):

   - Unicode support
   - Note taking
   - Search in non-bible books
   - Searching on strong's numbers and other lemmas
   - It doesn't specially treat daily devotionals done properly
   - Remote installation of modules

When I have time, I will try to add these features. Some are much easier
than others.

God Bless,
Ben
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish,
but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)