[sword-devel] Bible Software Review

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 23:16:34 MST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Daniel Owens <dhowens at pmbx.net> wrote:

>  I took a look at BPBible, and it is indeed fairly feature rich and pleasing
> to the eye. I especially like the way it handles looking up dictionary
> entries. I would use it regularly if:
>

> Fonts could be set by language or module,
> Bibles could be viewed in parallel, either BibleTime or BibleDesktop
> fashion, and
>
> and the Linux installation were a bit easier (I got stuck when trying to
> install the swig bindings). The project has made a strong start. The search
> dialog is pretty sharp, though average users aren't familiar with regular
> expressions. A regular expression builder dialog would be fantastic. The
> method that commentaries are linked to the Bible text is great.

Bear in mind that it is still very much a work in progress, but
thankyou for the comments.  I will agree that Linux installation may
be hard, and I'm sure that that will be addressed in some way in later
releases.  However, I don't agree with the regular expression
suggestion.  It is true that most users aren't familiar with regular
expressions.  However, regular expressions aren't a feature that most
users will need to use.  I understand regular expressions well, and
search the Bible frequently, and yet I have never had cause to use
regular expressions.  I suspect that only people who understand
regular expressions well will actually want to use them.  Most Bible
searches are satisfied by multi word or phrase search, which is quick
and easy and anyone who has used Google can understand.

Jon