[sword-devel] Bible Software Review

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:34:16 MST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:01 PM, DJ Ortley <djortley at gmail.com> wrote:
> >From his review of the Sword project's front end:
>
> "The core development is done on non-windows machines, and the authors are
> not big Windows fans, meaning the SWORD Project for Windows feels very much
> like a leftover product, with no real effort to take advantage of the
> Windows environment."
>
> Sounds like he's only interested in Windows programs.
>
> Though he's probably done doing the reviewing, putting a post on his blog
> would help stem any negative PR that might arise from misinformation.  I was
> going to make a mention on his blog that its worth taking a look at
> BibleDesktop and I was also going to point out that the main Windows front
> end really isn't under active development.  I have to go, so I can't do it
> right now.  I'll probably get around to it in the morning unless someone
> beats me to it (or, for some reason, suggests that its better that I not
> post.)

On a different point, if we genuinely believe that Sword for Windows
is not or should not be undergoing active maintenance then we should
probably remove it or de-emphasise it.  It is quite understandable
that an average user like him will look at the website, find a product
entitled "The Sword Project for Windows", assume that it is the best
software offered by CrossWire for Windows, try it, dislike it, and
then avoid CrossWire software in future.

Jon