[sword-devel] Neural Networks and Optical Character Recognition

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:43:17 MST 2008

I was thinking that any historic text that used something other than a modern
Latin typeface, such a technique might have better chances of success.
For example, if someone wished to apply OCR techniques to one of the earlier
Irish Bibles that was printed using the old Irish font, such a method might
have considerable advantages.  See
http://www.biblebc.com/Projects/odomhnuills_nt.htm
http://www.biblebc.com/Projects/odomhnuills_nt.htm
for an example of "William O'Domhnuill's (Daniel's) Translation of the New
Testament into Irish Completed 1602, and here re-published in 1827".

As these dates are all so ancient, any resulting digitization must surely
become public domain. Or is my understanding flawed?

There may be many similar such works that predate January 1, 1923..

There have been tremendous advances in image processing techniques in recent
years. But amateur enthusiasts choosing OCR software may not be fully aware
of what can be done, and may merely go for the best marketed product aimed
at modern typefaces.

David H.