[sword-devel] InstallMgr questions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 19:51:54 MST 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Ben,
>
> The ZIP packages are in a number of formats for different platforms
> (MacOSX, Windows, Raw, etc.)  They are not to intended to be used by
> InstallMgr.  We have discussed adding to InstallMgr support for .zip
> downloads of modules, but the discussed approach would rely on the ftp
> server supporting the fairly common feature that GET <directory>.zip
> will attempt to zip up a <directory> on the server side and send it to
> the client.

Troy,

You and I talked about this at great length on IRC and,  IIRC, the
other thing you were amenable to was using the current directory of
zips as an unreliable cache: If it was there fine, otherwise fall back
to the current methodology or  a new ftp dir.zip mechanism. The cache
would be a sibling directory to mods.d and modules. On the CrossWire
server it would probably be managed as a symbolic link. After that
discussion, I started to work on it, but I wasn't able to get very far
before other tasks distracted me.

DM