[sword-devel] On the topic of an iPhone front-end

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 06:16:01 MST 2008

I don't think format shifting is the issue. The module's permission for
distribution restricted modules is that CrossWire has been given
permission to distribute. I don't read into this that it is "only in
SWORD's module format." IMHO, as long as the text is obtained by the end
user from CrossWire it should be ok. But putting the module on another
server, in that, or any other format, that would not be distribution by
CrossWire.

So I think that there are a few possible avenues:
1) The application pulls the module to the user's device and uses it
however the application does it. If that application does format
shifting (which I agree is what the Lucene index is partially doing),
that would be fine. But it would be entirely unnecessary. If the user's
application can read the module to do format shifting, then it can read
the module and render it too.
2) Get an agreement to do format shifting and store the results on the
CrossWire server.
3) Don't make "CrossWire only" modules available without getting
separate permission to distribute from a different location.

In Him,
    DM