[sword-devel] osis2mod change

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Sep 25 16:39:53 MST 2007

Sebastien Koechlin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 05:14:34PM -0400, DM Smith wrote:
>> I'd like to change the compression default of osis2mod to ZIP.
>
> What about mod2zmod ?
>
> I send a message 4 days ago, subject: "Module compression", but nobody
> answer.
>
> I have tested with other bibles, somes are compressed better with ZIP, some are
> compressed better with LZSS:
>
> for B in KJV FreJND FreLSG; do for C in 1 2; do mkdir $B-$C; mod2zmod \
> $B $B-$C 3 $C; done; done; du -sh *
>
> 3,1M    FreJND-1
> 3,8M    FreJND-2
> 3,8M    FreLSG-1
> 4,3M    FreLSG-2
> 6,4M    KJV-1
> 5,6M    KJV-2

These tests and your message before show that LZSS gives better
compression for certain modules when used with Chapter compression. We
knew that LZSS does better with smaller chunks of data and ZIP does
better with larger ones.

For Bibles, we rarely do anything other than Book compression. We would
only do Chapter compression if the chapters were quite large (as we do
often with commentaries).

> Is LZSS discontinued ? Are you planning to remove it ?

LZSS was primarily added for STEP, which I doubt we'll ever fully
support. Theoretically we could remove it, but there aren't any plans to
do so.

--Chris