[sword-devel] Programmatic assigning of sword numbers

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 20:01:11 MST 2007

I have been thinking about the difficulties in programmatically
assigning Strong's numbers to a translations, and I thought I'd put
my musings out there.

For any given verse, we can know what Strong's Numbers belong to it.
Just look them up in the TR or WLC.

If we had a mapping of which words and or phrases in a given language
mapped to a Strong's number, then one could write a program that
tagged best matches.

Now I've taken enough language classes to know that the effort would
be imprecise. Proofreading would be necessary.

For Greek or Hebrew texts I think the results would be relatively
precise. I've been reading various Greek texts for quite a while
(albeit poorly) and they are remarkably similar. And to go from an
unaccented text to an accented text (of the same version), it should
be trivial. A word break iterator would be sufficient to map one text
to another.

DM