[sword-devel] OT: project issues (was: Re: single-user vs. multi-user installations, modules and packaging)

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 10:35:43 MST 2007

My 2 cents on the state of documentation:

I find that documentation is the first thing that developers want
access to and the last thing they want to write. It seems that there
is always one more important thing to fix or add. And once a
developer has an understanding how to use the code, having good
documentation is relatively unimportant. Currently, we have
significant implementations for each major platform (Win, Mac, Linux
and Web) and it is understanding these GUIs that becomes more important.

Having excellent documentation for the Sword API would minimize,
perhaps circumvent, the common question that we are asked: "I want to
write my own Bible application, using my favorite computer language.
How do I export the content of the modules so I can store it in my
own format?"

Open source is a community process. It should be that anyone can
freely participate in the process. With regard to documentation, we
all have the ability to provide it and make it available via the
wiki. That's what the wiki's home page states it is for.

Serving together in Him,
	DM