[sword-devel] imp2ld and alphabetization

Frank fchimes at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 02:11:21 MST 2007

DM Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure if I am reading the Sword code correctly, but it appears
> that it is sorting at a byte level and not a character level. That
> isn't by code points.
>
> I think that we discussed this a little bit ago and concluded that
> some work needs to be done in the engine.
>
> Her is my thought on the matter, for what it is worth. Today the sort
> serves two purposes: order and search. But it is search that
> constrains the order to be as it is. I think that if we could search
> independently of the order of keys in the module that would be ideal.

Both C++ and Java have ways built-in to handle this.  See the FAQ on the
Unicode site;

<http://unicode.org/faq/collation.html>

Since the rules are already made for all the languages currently used,
it should be easy to sort using the languages' appropriate locales.
Once sorted, it would be in the right order and, perhaps, the current
code would work without major modification.

I hope this helps...  :@)

--
Blessings

Frank