[sword-devel] .conf files encoding/tags

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 10:39:23 MST 2007

I surveyed *all* the confs for modules available for download on the
CrossWire server:

For html tags.
As I noted earlier, only the ShortPromo has <a href="">...</a>
The WLC module is the only conf that has other html. It looks like it
is restricted to <p>...</p>.

I also looked for UTF-8 modules with non-ascii, non-utf-8 characters.
It appears that most that do are cp1252.
Two have problems in Description=
	FinPR92
	GerLut1545
The following have problems in About=
	ALT
	EMTV
	AB
	UKJV
	FinPR92
	GerELB1871
	GerLut1545
	Wulfilia
	LXX
	HunKar
	Swe1917
	Viet
	GerAugustinus
	GerLutherpredigten
	FreMartin (beta)
In CopyrightContactAddr
	HunUj

I also found that GerNEU (beta) is full of problems. I'm not sure
what's there but I don't think it is either UTF-8 or cp1252. For
example the Description is Ãœbersetzun.

I assume that if we allow UTF-8 in the conf it should be NFC, just
the same as the module.

The beta GerTafel has what looks like a typo in the About  (i.e. ...
Apokryphen.² 2. ...) This conf is otherwise UTF-8.

I think there is a typo in the beta TurNTB as there is a name
beginning with a lower case i. (I think this is to be a capital
Turkish 'I' with an accent, which is not found in Latin1.)

I looked at the confs for latin-1 encode modules to see if any had
utf-8. I found one:
	GerSch

There are a lot of Latin-1 encoded modules that have cp1252 in the
conf. I didn't look for these. FinPR would be an example of this,
having a non-ascii in both Description and in About.

I think that FinPR and GerTafel are two test cases representing
latin-1 encoding and utf-8 encoding correctly. We should check these
in the various front-ends to see how they look.

Both look correct in BibleDesktop.

In both Safari and Firefox on Mac:
BAD: http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=FinPR
GOOD: http://www.crosswire.org/study/fulllibrary.jsp?show=FinPR